Breakdown of 2016 Applications:
- 20 applicants in 12 ventures
- Industries included renewable energy, food and beverage, IT and education
- Candidates ranged in age from 16-24 years old
- Applicants were judged by a panel of local entrepreneurs, and were rated on viability, impact on the province and scalability
Founder: Catherine Moreira (Cat Adalay)
Aurea is a research and development company that is striving to respond to the large-scale need for cleaner, renewable energy sources. Aurea is currently in the prototype stage of designing and manufacturing a system of small-scale modular wind turbines with a direct-drive generator embedded within the turbine structure. This unique design increases capacity per turbine, reduces the weight and costs and allows for easier maintenance.
Highlights for the year:
- Currently completing first prototype
- Completed Fierce Founders Bootcamp and graduated from Fierce Founders Accelerator out of Communitech in Kitchener, Ontario
- Won 3 pitching competitions
- Raised $51,000 of non-dilutive funds
- Working towards first pilot in Nova Scotia
- Looking to raise investment once prototype is completed
- Recently shortlisted for Innovacorp's Spark Competition for $50,000
Sloth Coffee Co.
Founder: Tyler Sellars
Sloth Coffee Co. is an Atlantic Canadian based coffee brand offering a selection of 100% organic and fair trade coffees, with a core focus on three points:
- Higher Sourcing Standards
- Higher Coffee Quality
- Connecting with moments of Joy
Highlight for the year: Sloth Coffee Co. was certainly picking up steam and securing orders. In July Tyler was offered an opportunity with Good Leaf Farms and decided to shut the company down to focus on his new role.
Under the Bridge
Founder: Alfred Burgesson
Under The Bridge is a Digital Media agency comprised of millennials – creatives, commerce students and designers; capable of developing small, medium and large-scale social influence projects.
Highlights for the year? Under The Bridge Digital Media is in the process of rebranding to HFX Collective. In 2017 Alfred has had the chance of working with NBA Canada, Atlantic University Sport, Assembly of First Nations - and he was named to the board of directors of the Nova Scotia Community Sector Council.
If you'd like to get in touch with any of the finalists/winners, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you get connected.