100 Seed$ Atlantic is a non-profit organization that was created in response to Ray Ivany’s Now or Never report to foster youth entrepreneurship in Atlantic Canada. One statistic in particular, stated that only 12% of youth between the age of 16-24 that were poled wanted to start their own business. In addition to other great organizations such as Futurpreneur and Junior Achievement, 100 Seed$ Atlantic aims to increase this statistic by encouraging youth to choose entrepreneurship as a viable career option.
One of the major initiatives of 100 Seed$ Atlantic is 100 Entrepreneurs Planting Seed$, a pitch competition for youth between the ages of 16 and 24. This annual event brings business leaders and youth entrepreneurs together for a micro-funding opportunity, as 100 Entrepreneurs/Senior Leaders come ready to write a cheque for at least $100 to the winning pitch.
To date, 100 Entrepreneurs Planting Seed$ has:
- Contributed over $50,000 to youth entrepreneurship in Nova Scotia
- Garnered support from CEO’s, business owners, senior leaders, university presidents, and elected officials from across Nova Scotia
- Received 67 applications from 90 youth from Yarmouth to Cape Breton
- Reviewed applications in IT, renewable energy, education, agriculture, retail and various other industries
- Engaged representatives from 30 youth/entrepreneur centric organizations
- Welcomed 75 youth spectators to our events